Sunday, January 15, 2012

My GRAVY or psgetti sauce (Spaghetti/ Tomato sauce)




My Spaghetti sauce - AKA, "GRAVY"
This is soy free, dairy free, gluten free, corn free, egg free and beef/ veal free.

My mom taught me how to make this when I was young.  Mine is slightly varied from hers over the years, but is very yummy!

You will need:
A LARGE stock pot

ABOUT 3 tablespoons of olive oil (to cover the bottom of the pot)
3-4 gloves of crushed garlic
approximately 1 teaspoon each of parsley, basil, oregano (see any patterns? Also you can add more or less to taste! Customize!)
3 28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes
3 28 oz cans of tomato puree (you can use sauce for this if you choose)
3 6 oz cans of tomato paste
54 oz of water (I use the tomato paste cans to measure... 3 cans of water for each can of paste)

In the stock pot over low/ medium heat begin to heat your olive oil.  Add in garlic, parsley, basil, oregano.  Saute until brown.  I let this cool for a bit before adding my crushed tomatoes so it doesn't splash.  Add all three cans of crushed tomatoes and simmer for about 10 minutes.  Next add your tomato puree or sauce.  Again, let simmer for a few minutes so the flavor of the herb/ spices/ garlic can get into the tomatoes.  Next, add your paste and water and stir over low/ medium heat.  Bring to a boil and lower temp slightly.  Let the sauce cook stirring occasionally for at LEAST 3 hours with the lid partially covering the pot.  Tilt it a bit so some of the steam escapes. REMEMBER to stir some times!

Serve over your favorite pasta.  We use pecorino Romano grated cheese because it is sheep's milk and we all seem to be able to tolerate it ok.  Sprinkle some over your pasta with a bit of salt and pepper.

I can't have the wheat pasta, but my family can.  I really like Tinkyada brand brown rice pasta.
It takes a little longer to cook than wheat pasta, but it is very close in consistency, I THINK, to regular pasta.

Make a tossed salad to go along with your meal and VOILA!  Bon Appetit!
Olive Oil with garlic, parsley, basil, & oregano
It will smell delicious!
Some ingredients you will need











Add Crushed Tomatoes


Add Tomato Puree and paste
Add water
Lid is slightly ajar to let the steam out- the spoon is for stirring!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember that your mother taught you if you don't haven anything nice, don't say anything at all!! I welcome suggestions, comments, questions, and your stories, but please don't be mean-spirited. This life is hard to get through and I'm grateful that you stopped by to visit!!